SxTx just finished the European tour and according to Dean "It was big fun, we had a blast doing it. The shows and fans were the best! I hope we can build off of this trip, and do it even bigger next time!"
Pauly: Dean, I thought it was time for a little Q&A with you...
-Tell us a little about yourself, how did you ever started picking up the guitar? Was it a family thing?
Well, I started playing the guitar in the 11th grade for stage band! I didn`t know how to play but I wanted to learn because I thought it looked cool, and I liked the way the guitar looked! My grandfather played the banjo, and my Dad messed around with the guitar a little bit!
- Where did you grow up as a kid? Any hobby's besides guitars back in the days?
I was born in San Antonio Texas, but I moved around a lot as my dad was in the airforce .
I worked on a farm, fed cows, and chickens ..ha ha .really! I also loved riding dirt bikes, and playing basketball all day! and helping my dad in the shop working on cars!
- What kind of gear to you use? And why that gear?
I use VHT and Fender and Marshall amps, also I play fernandes guitars! I like fernandes, because they fit my style really well20, and I can get that vintage sound, as well as a good heavy tone!
- If you could choose your ultimate guitar...which one should it be...? And what about the best amp sounds?
I like the strat body the best, then Les Pauls, my ultimate guitar is the Strat, I guess because it was the first guitar I played! I like fender for the clean sound and Marshall and VHT for dirty and solo tones!
- Influences from all styles can be heard in your guitarplaying. Got any heroes yourself besides Jimi off course? (I saw you wear that shirt on tour hahaha)
Ha ha ha, Yes, Jimi Hendrix, is a big influence on my playing, also Stevie Ray, and Larry Graham. and Bootsy Collins! I think they all have a lot of soul and feeling int there playing! And also the way they used effects pedals!!
- What kind of music do you like listening on the road, or just at home?
I like to listen to old music, old rock, and soul, and funk music! I do like new artist as well, but mostly old stuff!
- Do you still practise or is all just a matter of routine now?
Yes, I play all the time, I am always trying to learn new scales, and music theory! I just love playing! so I do it whenever the feeling hits me!
- Before you joined IG, did you play some other bands? And what else do you do besides IG/ST?
I was doing session work, playing in the studio mostly, and some live stuff here, and there! I still do studio work, and I played live with Jessica Simpson for 4 years, I have played on quite a few cd`s, and I always enjoy doing that, as well as my band stuff!
- Tell us some more on the studiowork and some cd’s you played on. I heard about Ugly Kid Joe, 3T andmore….
Well, I have played for most of the Jacksons except Micheal, and Janet, I wrote a song on the 3-T cd that was fun. Yes, I played for Uglykidjoe, and George Clinton, Tone Loc, Coke ads, Poe, Jody Whatley, Atlantic Star, and so on!
- How did you hook up with Infectious way back?
I was called to play on a project by my old friend, Robert Trujillo. For him and Mike muir, well that project turned into Infectious Grooves! I was supposed to play on a few tracks, but Mike liked me and I wound up playing on everything!
- Do you still have contact with Robert and an you tell us some more on working with him and Brooks and Adam back in the days?
I haven`t talked to Robert in a few years, but last I did he was very cool, and was having another baby!
Working with Adam was great, I learned so much from him, he was a true talent! Brooks was also fun and very young at the time which made things really funny! It was all so new to him! Ha ha . But he was an incredible drummer so that`s all that mattered at the time! I have spoke to him recently! He is doing great as well!
- Nowadays working with Steve and Eric…how does a IG or ST song get structure? Is it jamming or writing?
It is a little bit of both, some ideas, lead to everyones input, or we just jamn, and Mike says Play that part here, and make the other the chorus!! he he . and that is how it usually goes down!
- Is it difficult to keep the two bands separated in song writing and development?
No, because they are actually very different, IG, is very funky,and groove based, as for ST, it is more hard, and heavy based on a hard guitar riff, or around the guitars . IG, can be based around the Bass, or guitar, or keyboard!! Also, we have kinda made it a point to really seperate the 2 as far as sounds go!!
- How did you end up playing in ST…it’s so much different than IG?
Well after ST broke up in "95 we were touring with IG, and Cyco Miko, and Mike wanted to reform ST, as his Big Brother Jim suggested with a new line up, so Mike asked me of I was interested, of course I said Hell Yeah! As ST was one of my favorite bands, and I always admired Rocky George, and the way he played solos, and I wanted the chance to play this style of music, and grow as a guitarist!
- So, just finished the ST “Year of the cycos” tour 2009. I must say i think it was the best ST tour in years. What was it like?
Oh it was big fun, I had a blast, doing it. The shows, and fans were the best, I hope we can build off of this trip, and do it even bigger next time!
- Do you still like hitting the road after all these years?
Yes, I do, I love playing, and traveling, even though I hate flying, I love doing the shows! See you all soon again!